Thursday, April 29, 2004

Home Page One of the candidates for the 2000 nomination of the Reform Party for POTUS may run again in 2004. Bob Bowman states on his 2000 Issues page:

"Over the years, I have been best known for my opposition to "Star Wars" weapons, nuclear war, an interventionist foreign policy, and excessive "defense" spending. Nonetheless, as a candidate for national office, I think I should tell voters where I stand on all the issues — even those where I am not a recognized expert. Some of these issues are ones candidates love to duck, because every position is bound to offend someone. Still, ducking is not my style. I think it would be great if every candidate stated his position on every one of these issues, up front, in writing, and on his web site. (Mine is www.rmbowman.com) Give me your comments, suggestions, and gripes, and I’ll deal with them. But for now, here I stand."

I spoke with him this afternoon as RPUSA National Press Secretary, to find out if he was seeking the party's nomination this year. I briefed him on our recent negotiations with Ralph Nader, and on our home-grown candidates Ted Weill and Jason Pacifico. He said that if Ted stepped down from his candidacy, he would seek our nomination. I then related this to Ted in a subsequent call, and Ted said that he wants what will draw the most votes to the party in November; that means he would do so for Nader, but that he thinks he is as well-known in the party as Mr. Bowman, and that he would leave that up to the delegates in the upcoming national convention. By the way I also told Mr. Bowman that our national chairman is seeking speakers for the convention. Bob Bowman has not ruled out the nomination of the Reform Party USA for 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment