Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tell your US Rep. NO to lower public safety standards for the new highway bill


Public Citizen is leading a campaign to promote public safety over the interests of trucking companies. This Summer, Congress will begin drafting the new highway bill, SAFETEA-LU 2009. Already, trucking companies are lobbying our representatives for lower safety standards; this would result in higher fatalities and injuries for us, and would increase the rate of road deterioration.

Please tell your US Representative NO to the industry demands, and to put our safety first; visit Public Citizen's campaign webpage to send your letter (you may edit it, too). If you wish, instead, to call your US Rep., you can use the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121; this is not a toll-free number.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I agree with not lowering the public safety standards for the new highway bill. It is important to maintain our safety on the road! I was browsing through political websites and blogs and I came across your blog and find it to be very interesting and informative. There are a bunch of others I like too, like huff post, and other news sites like politico. Do you know of any that cover politics and the environment? I saw earthlab.com which has mostly environmental info (like a pretty cool carbon calculator) but some politics. Are there any other blogs you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites or any ones with green info?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the complements! Yes, I have some concerns for the state of our environment, but I, understand please, spend most of my time here. However, I find that The National Wildlife Fund, Environmental Defense and National Geographic are of course reliable. Hope this helps.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, sorry, I meant World Wildlife Fund. Also, check out the Nature Conservancy at www.nature.org.

    David

    ReplyDelete